Multiple occupancy buildings

Q. In a multi-occupancy building, is an EPC required for the whole building or for each occupancy?

A. Where a whole building is for sale then an EPC can be produced for the whole building including all individual parts including common parts. Where each part has an independent heating system then if an EPC exists for a whole building then separate EPCs should be obtained when letting each part. 

The most flexible and relevant option is to produce EPCs for each individual unit. The EPC will be specifically tailored to that unit and it will be easier to consider the effect of carrying out the improvements.

EPCs for multi-let buildings

The above diagram is an extract from a Communities and Local Government (CLG) document. The full document is available here.